Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thirty!

Mike turned 30 on Sunday. I'm sure he would've liked to have a quiet day of golf and then dinner, but uh... NO WAY! So I - with MUCH help from our friends, Sarah, Colin and Chad - successfully fooled him for weeks and surprised him Saturday night with a 30th birthday party. Nearly 20 people came and we had a great time. We were all glad to have Mike finally walk through the door at 6:30 p.m. so we no longer had to work so dang hard at keeping the secret.

Several days before the party, I had bought huge bags of broccoli and carrots from Sam's to make a relish tray. Upon seeing them a few days before the party, Mike said, "Why did you buy such big bags of this stuff? It's all going to go bad, we'll never eat it all." The concern and worry in his eyes about this wasting of food was hysterical. My cover was that it was "a good deal at the grocery store" and "you know, we should really start eating healthier." He agreed and started packing away carrots and broccoli, eating them all day and taking them for his lunch. He'd ask me, "Did you eat your broccoli and carrots for lunch?" I was cracking up inside, but tried to keep a straight face every time he questioned me about this or that. We had a couple of close calls where I thought he knew, but Colin was great at throwing him off over and over again. It was stressful, but so much fun!

Thanks to everyone who came and all who helped me before/during the party! Mike was so appreciative and he had a great time with all of you!

This is when Mike first walked in. Chad and Colin brought Mike home after playing golf all day. All the cars were parked down the street so he wouldn't know.


Thanks so much Sommer and Sarah for coming over early to help me set up!

Abby Kate did not want to leave the party. Here she is on her way upstairs to go to bed, stopping to put on a show for guests below.



4 comments:

Brandon and Carolyn Schroder said...

Happy Birthday Mike! I did think about you on your big day- but I have lost my mind and my organizational skills since Brandon's been home- I owe you one belated birthday card!! What a great surprise.

Marge and Brent said...

Happy Birthday Mike from all the Rider clan. We wish we could have joined the celebration and I could have brought my drinking games expertise. I know a new one you guys will have to play! Looks like fun and hope you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

We had a great time and thanks for letting us crash there!
Love,
The Newbolds

Anonymous said...

OH look at Mike all red faced! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE! YAY Casey, looks like you did a teffific job with the party! Love you both!