Thursday, April 03, 2008

Thursday Updates

MIKE

Mike started having abdominal pains late Tuesday after a night formation flight. He thought it was nothing until the pain didn't cease all night. Wednesday morning I cancelled the play date that was scheduled to be at our house that morning and took Mike to see the flight doctor on base. They sent him to the hospital for a CT scan which showed he had appendicitis. They scheduled an immediate appendectomy. While we waited a few hours for the surgery, Mike's pain kept increasing and all he wanted was to be put under anesthetic as quickly as possible. Once they finally drugged him up and took him back, the surgery was done laparoscopically within an hour. (Meaning they used a telescopic rod lens system which required three tiny incisions instead of one large incision. A much less invasive surgery.)

Afterward, he was feeling "6,000 times better" as he would say. He's doing well now and is back home and just a little sore as you might expect. He should be flying again within the next two weeks (hopefully).

Thanks so much for all the support from so many people here in Meridian, especially to Sarah for keeping Abby Kate last night while I stayed with Mike at the hospital. I owe you!


DAD

Dad is feeling better and better. I talked to him on the phone today and he said he might be getting out of the hospital tomorrow or the next day!!!! They're talking of sending him to rehab, but the time frame is still unknown. He has been enjoying milkshakes, soup and juice for the last two days. I think his first "meal" was cream of potato soup, a vanilla milkshake and grape juice. He said it tasted great! He still has the size 6 trachea tube in. The latest word is that he'll have the size 6 in while he's in rehab. Then they'll downsize it again before he goes home. They'll remove it completely a couple weeks after that.

I can tell by his voice he is feeling so, so much better. Thanks again for all of your prayers. He is well on his way to full recovery!

It's kind of ironic... my two favorite men, both in the hospital... each telling me to tell the other he was thinking of him and hoping he would get well soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh Casey, You have sure been through some ups and downs. I hope Mike gets to feeling better soon. Nick also had an appendectomy in Germany serveral yrs ago. I am sorry Mike has had to go through that pain. Caden wants to tell AK hi. He asks about her a lot. Take care of yourself! We will continue to pray for strength for all of you.(:Cristy

Carrie, Brian and William said...

Casey, I couldn't believe it when Brian told me Mike was in the hospital. Everyone is asking what is going on with my family. Larry my brother in law was hospitalized last week, they thought he had a heart attack. Mike, hope you're feeling beter and get well soon!!

Anonymous said...

Glad Mike is home and recovering, and the news about your dad gets better and better!
You don't owe me a thing...we loved having AK.
~ Sarah

Brandon and Carolyn Schroder said...

Man, everyone is in the hospital... glad to hear all are recovering nicely. I wish I was closer to help. Keep the updates coming!