Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Tuesday Update

My dad spoke to me today. Clear and strong and full of breath! My heart leaped with gladness and relief. If you try to speak with your teeth tightly closed, that's exactly how he sounds. I could understand him perfectly, even on a cell phone!

He is doing really well today. They had him swallow water for the first time this afternoon and x-rayed him while he did it to ensure that it worked well with the trachea tube. It worked perfectly and now - even as I type this - he is perusing a menu as he will get to drink his dinner tonight. Hallelujah! The menu offers orange juice, apple juice, prune juice, tomato juice, coffee, sodas, milkshakes, oatmeal, a variety of soups, etc. It doesn't sound very appetizing, but to a man who hasn't eaten anything for three weeks... well, even prune juice probably sounds good!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is Awesome news!!!!! I am so impressed and amazed! Let us know what he choose! I always found it amusing what Dad choose to eat after those long dry spells where he couldn't eat much and then got to eat his first meal. It's so weird what they choose. Tell Uncle Gary to keep up the good work!!! We love you all! We will continue to pray for you all!!! Love, Joy McCook

The Moremans said...

i am so glad for the turn around! i hope all is smooth sailing from now on!

Cristy, Nick and Caden said...

That is great Casey. I am so glad he continues to move foward. Any time I have had a set back my dad says "you have to craw before you walk,and walk before you run. All these steps are steps to his full recovery. ( : Cristy

Kim said...

Gary and Debi, we are praying for you DAILY!! Philip mentions you nightly in his prayers to Jesus. So glad to hear that you will now be able to drink something. We are so thankful that your healing has been progressing so well this week. As having been through something like this with my mom's sickness, just take it day by day, baby steps! Much love, Kim, Matthew, Philip & Braewyn (she's crawling!!)

Brandi said...

Casey, That's fantastic news!!! We have been praying for you. Even my family in TN has had your dad on their prayer list, once I told them what was going on! (Hope you don't mind.) Congrats on the good news, and we continue to think about you guys... Keep up the good work, Casey's Dad! :)

Carrie, Sean and Savannah Leigh said...

That is such wonderful news to hear that your dad is improving each and every day!! I am happy to hear he has a long menu to choose from and I am sure he will enjoy everyone of them. Our thoughts and prayers still and will continue for your dads recovery and your family strength!!
Carrie