Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Update

I'm happy to report that Dad walked up an entire flight of stairs and back down today. His physical therapist has to take his oxygen tank with him, but his levels have been a lot better lately. The antibiotics seem to be working. He's still in isolation. Anyone who enters his room has to wear these bright yellow cape-type things. Mom told me Dad had said (written down, rather) that when he woke up for the first time in isolation he thought he was in heaven and that these three people standing around him in yellow were angels. Not sure if he was joking or not, but I thought it was funny. Mom says Dad is feeling better and better both physically and mentally. Thanks again for continuing to pray for Dad. Our prayers are being answered!

The doctors are planning to downsize his trachea tube to a size 6 tomorrow and will hopefully be placing a valve on there so he can speak. They'll also be teaching him to swallow and drink from a straw with it in. Dad hasn't had anything to drink or eat for 2 weeks and 3 days. He is wanting water to drink so badly! So I'm praying he gets to have the pleasure of a cold glass of water tomorrow. He'll be having lots of protein/fruit smoothies and milkshakes for the next several weeks to supplement the feeding tube that's already in place. So if you have any great-tasting, healthy blender recipes please pass them on!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Casey, I is good to hear that his recovery is moving forward. Nick and I went to the South East Easter Pageant last night, it really puts things in perspective. We forget how much God has control of. I have passed on to many people about your dad, he is being thought about and prayed for everyday. Love, Cristy

Anonymous said...

Casey,
I am going to spend the day at the hospital with your Mother and take her some food (I know she has not been eating). I hope to see your Dad for the first time since the accident, your Mom thinks it will be ok for me to visit. Can't wait to see his new nose job and let him know how much we love him. Thanks for keeping us updated..
Love & Prayers, Joy

Anonymous said...

Casey, hope Gary got my message, the news of his improvement sounds great. Hope we can come and see him soon.


Raby Family

The Adventures of Maverick & the Mrs. said...

Oh honey. I just checked my blog today, and wanted to let you know that you guys are in my prayers. I am so thankful that he is doing better. I wish for a speedy recovery and rest for all of you. Take care of yourself, and as it sounds, your dad is a real fighter! Hang in there.

Carrie, Sean and Savannah Leigh said...

Casey,
I am so happy to hear your dad is getting better. We still have him in our thoughts and prayers daily and wish for a speedy recovery. As well as rest and peace for the family. My family is spending out thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Hang in there! Carrie

Amy said...

Casey:

I am just now reading this and I am so sorry! I am glad that you have good news to report, though. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I know how absolutely heart wrenching it is to watch your dad in pain and feel so helpless. You are a wonderful daughter...and mother, too!

love and prayers-
amy (friend of whitney)